FAQ’s: Where’s the best skiing, hiking, dinner, date night, and family activity in Summit County?
No matter what season it is these are some of the questions we see most commonly throughout the year. Giving you one correct answer is impossible due to difference of opinions BUT we will try and give you our most honest answers for each topic. I will start by saying that this is a very hard thing to do in Summit County, mostly due to the plethora of quality mom and pop joints and endless outdoor beauty we have out here. Ok, here it goes. . .
- For me this is an easy pick. Most of you would picture the iconic Breckenridge Resort but these days the fact that most people would guess that is the exact reason why it’s not #1. The best skiing is Copper Mountain. The in bounds terrain is unbeatable at around 2,456 sq foot, which offers long groomers, endless tree runs, and one of the best parks in the country.
Local tip- Copper is usually WAY less crowded then the popular resorts offered on Vail’s Epic Passes.
- This year they also introduce two new lifts, one using the bubble chairs (allowing you to stay even warmer) and the other lift featuring both gondolas and open chairs. One of the best parts of copper is the ease of access throughout the whole mountain. The other stand out for me is the simple fact that you can tell the employees like working there. It really creates a great atmosphere. The town at the bottom is also perfect placed for all your drink and food needs 🙂 Oh, did I mention they have extremely convenient free parking. Well, they do.
- This one is certainly a tough one to pick just one. Using a mix of hikes that locals love to do frequently and a popular hike for vacationers, Lily Pad Lake seems like the stand out option. Lilly pad offers a 3.2 mile moderate round trip so it’s not too short but can be done in just a few hours.
- The trail winds through dense forest, water ways, and ends with two large lakes (one filled completely with lily pads). There is slow and steady elevation gain, which makes for the perfect hike up and back down. Bring your dogs but be sure to bring a leash. This trail can get crowded. Best times to hike here are late afternoons or early mornings.
Local Tip: I’ve seen 3 moose up there so far so keep your eyes peeled. There is lots of wildlife up here.
- I won’t take too much time on this one since this topic really does depends on the person doing the eating and their personal preference. So, The Dam Brewery is my pick. Reason being; they have a very open menu for all types of foodies. This place can cater to your meet lovers, vegetarians, and vegans. Not to mention they brew all their beers in house, which makes this place perfect for the beer lovers too. The restaurant has two seating levels as well as outdoor seating so the atmosphere is perfect through all seasons. They always have a friendly staff and keep things very clean.
Local Tip: The beer cheese soup is a great way to start of your meal!
- I wish I had more experience to help everyone out with this one but the couple’s of Summit County might tell you it’s the Hearthstone. Even in the slowest of seasons the Hearthstone always has a wait. But read any of the online reviews, the wait is well worth it.
- Beyond just the sheer beauty of the actual building going inside only gets better! This is an extremely classy establishment with a very skilled staff. So take your special someone out for a night of food and fun to remember.
Local Tip: After the food is done take a short walk down to Main Street and enjoy the rest of the night enjoying beautiful views and great drinks.
- I unfortunately didn’t make it out to Colorado until I was 23. But with that being said if I was able to come out as a kid I would’ve certainly had my family chose the Frisco Adventure Park. It is open all season long and offers plenty of family fun. The adventure park offers Disc Golf: a bike park, lake Dillon, a trail system, a brand new skate park, snow tubing, a seasonal snowboard/ski park, and a few ball fields.
- In the middle is an information center with a helpful staff to direct you in the right direction for some family fun. The adventure park is located right in Frisco, which is also right next to the Marina and close to all the businesses on the Main Street.
Here is my best attempt at picking one winner for each of these topics. Thanks for reading. I hope it helps!!